Website terms and conditions template
- Length:13 pages (3850 words)
- Available in:Microsoft Word DOCXApple PagesRTF
If the document isn’t right for your circumstances for any reason, just tell us and we’ll refund you in full immediately.
We avoid legal terminology unless necessary. Plain English makes our documents easy to understand, easy to edit and more likely to be accepted.
You don’t need legal knowledge to use our documents. We explain what to edit and how in the guidance notes included at the end of the document.
We offer free support by email in respect of editing the document. You can also use our Document Review Service if you want to our legal team to check that the document will do as you intend.
Our documents comply with the latest relevant law. Our lawyers regularly review how new law affects each document in our library.
About this website terms and conditions template
This template provides T&C for a website that offers a membership based service to businesses. You could charge a subscription or provide some or all of the services for free.
Typically, member-based sites allow users a high level of interaction with the site, and with other members. This template includes extensive terms relating to acceptable use and removal of offensive content. These aim both to dissuade your members from misuse or malicious use of your site, and to give you additional protection from claims relating to the actions of, or content posted by, your members.
Examples of sites that would use this template include:
- business related introduction and connection sites;
- trade associations and organisations;
- business support networks;
- business related discussion boards.
This template has been written to cover international use because sites that would use such a template are likely to attract visitors from across the world. It has been written to comply with Indian law, but much is likely to be enforceable in many other legal jurisdictions as well.
The benefit of using these clear terms and conditions
Using this document on your website will help you:
- set out clearly how your business works and what your members can expect;
- present a professional image of your business. Our use of plain English helps ensure members do not feel intimidated by overly formal or legalistic language;
- prevent misunderstandings and make solving disputes easier;
- protect your website from misuse (we include paragraphs that form an Acceptable Use Policy, essential if your visitors interact with your website, for example, by posting reviews or exchanging messages in a customer forum);
- protect your business from complaints about content that your subscribers posted – particularly important if your members can contribute content to your site that you might not moderate in real time.
We have another very similar template if you operate a site that may be used by consumers (private individuals) as well as businesses. See Website terms & conditions template: membership based services.
If your site creates a marketplace for goods or services (where buyers are connected with sellers and transactions occur through your site), one of our terms and conditions templates for marketplace websites might be more appropriate. See Website terms & conditions for marketplace sites.
If you are in any doubt as to which T&C template you should choose, please contact us.
The law in this document
The law in this T&C template is largely common law that deals with the basics of contracts: offer, acceptance, price and payment, delivery, liabilities and risk. That means that, by and large, you can set the commercial terms you want. Our guidance notes will tell you what you can change safely.
This document also contains paragraphs that provide intellectual property protection, both governing how your site content is used by your visitors and members and how information posted to your site by your visitors can be used by you.
The terms and conditions template includes provisions relating to:
- responsibility of the member to provide accurate information;
- terms of membership;
- acceptable Use Policy;
- removal of offensive content;
- security of your website;
- storage of data;
- duration and termination;
- limitation of liability;
- miscellaneous legal matters to protect your business.
All rights reserved